Monday, November 14, 2011

Do you think language unites or divide us?



Language is the best way to communicate between people in the entire world. It keeps us in one circle and I mean it unites us. The majority of people speak English however English maybe not their native language. My native language is not English but I like to learn it because I want to connect with people surround me. Many of the students have the same situation but English unites us and make nice bridges between the people. I practice my English language outside home and inside the school because I am still having problem with it however I will focus to get the best knowledge from this language. This would work with all languages but English language has the most impact in our life. We need to fill the gap that divide people and choose perfect language to solve these problems. The population of the United States is growing of different types of people and English is the only language could unite us. I cannot speak Chinese language with my friend and he cannot speak Arabic but both of us could speak English. We are learning basic language and that would not help us in our future. The teachers should focus on deeply. We don’t want to learn surface language that makes a gap between us and native speakers. People should recognize the language before learn it. For me as ESOL student, I would say that getting English college classes would force you to learn language in the best form. 

2 comments:

  1. I think language is not only unites us it also divides us because we all from different counrties and we have different culture. But we can deal in a good way and try to treat fairly people if they speak your language or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the video you used was interesting. It shows how hard it is to speak another language. The woman soldier was confused and she didn't know what she was saying. Language can make people laugh too! It is good to laugh at ourselves sometimes when we make mistakes or when we are just having fun. It divides us when we make fun of others or are critical when people make mistakes. Making mistakes is part of the process in acquiring a new language and it is important for learners to take risks. That is how progress can occur. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and selecting an interesting video to demonstrate your point.

    ReplyDelete